Saturday, August 4, 2012

Jangan sapu Malaysia please!

I hate not being able to stay out as late as I want to for being afraid of becoming the next victim of robbery/etc. Everyday I see news of people being robbed or being victims of some sort of heinous crimes, and that my friend, I have to admit, has successfully instill fear in me.

I used to be immune to these cases, being the No Fear person brushing aside all these news, thinking how distant it was. I used to ride my trusty Yamaha fearlessly even when it was past midnight already. I used to think that my mother is such a nag for always reminding us to lock the car doors at all times.

Now, everyday I read of how people are robbed in front of their house, in their own house and how they are also physically harmed when the perpetrators are not satisfied with their loot. This is how low our society have become. I used to deemed carparks are safe because there's so many cars and so many people are gonna be around but look at what happened in The Curve and many other shopping complexes.

I hate how I cannot leave my bag or purse on the passenger seat or anywhere that is visible from outside of the car. I think I hate it more to have to hide my purse and phone at some 'safe' compartments which is hard for me to reach. I hate being plugged by the feeling of insecurity, to be aware of my surroundings at all times like I am a criminal looking for ways to escape. They are the culprits, why must we, the normal citizens be the ones to feel like we are being watched all the time?

I am not going to act all brave now and say that I'm not one bit shaken by all the recent crimes. I am in fact very afraid. Have never been more afraid in my own country before. But what's worse is I don't know what I can do to guarantee myself to not be the next victim. It's a bet. I take precautions to make myself feel safer but whether it works or not, no one/nothing can guarantee. 

I don't need the government to build skyscrapers to fulfill whatever BIG promises they have made. Because whatever it is, in the end, those in powers are the one gaining and we the citizens are always the one at loss. 

I only need a country that is safe. A country that is clean. A country where I can go home at 3 in the morning without needing to fear whether I would still have my arms attached to my body after making the journey home. A country where I do not need to take extra long route just to avoid the roadblocks that the policemen has set up at the same place, same time, everyday for  more than 3 months already - although I did not do anything wrong. I'm sure I am not the only one who is doing this. I am a normal person traveling from home to town just to meet up with friends and yet I already knew where and when the roadblocks will be at. If I can memorize this, I'm sure a to-be criminal would be more sensitive to these things than me. You get the drift. 

No one has ever restricted my freedom and therefore I have to say this again : I hate being restricted by the unsafe surroundings. I hate not being able to stay out as late as I want to for fear of being The Next Victim!!!

No comments: