Monday, July 11, 2011

Bersih 2.0 rally- Read, Wrote, Conquered!

I was not one of the hundreds of thousands there on 09.07.2011.

For I was seated anxiously at the comfort of home, catching up on the live feed from people who went down to show physical support. Previously neutral to Bersih , I have decided albeit hurriedly, to bathe and change into my yellow Digi T-shirt just right before 2pm, to show my support(more like approval) although there was not a crowd made up of hundreds of thousands for me to show to.

It is really all about how I feel, how my heart decided to acknowledge that Bersih 2.0 is a different cause after reading first hand tweetw/info regarding the happenings during the rally. Bersih 2.0 and the courageous Malaysians managed to make me feel touched and it got my respect.

To be true, I have had my fair share of doubts and paranoia. On whether Bersih is really not another stunt by the Opposition. On whether there will be bloodshed. 

A couple of days before the rally itself, I visited the Bersih 2.0 official Facebook page for let's just say a lot of times. Most of the comments there are positive I'd say, except that occasionally there's one or two bad apples, trashing this or that race and trying to inflict hate, controversy, and also fear because there were uncalled for threats by irresponsible people. The atmosphere in there is pretty harmonious, eventhough there was quite a bit of name calling. 

Today, here I am, seated on my uncomfortable wooden chair typing this, realizing that it is utterly heartwarming to read all the #bersihstories and this is a realization that Malaysia, is not the same as of 13 May 1969. I am thankful and at the same time, proud of those at the rally whom promised to gather and disperse peacefully and they did. 

Much of my fears and paranoia comes from the fact that I was rather afraid that violence will take place at the rally. But Malaysians, hundreds and thousands of them, proved to us that they are able to stay civilised even when put under pressure and risking their own safety facing the police armed with teargas and water cannons. 

Isn't it comforting to know that the people there trusted each other although there were so many different individuals - short, fat, thin, tall, dark, fair, rich, poor, old, young - and although there were reports on parangs found together with bersih T-shirts. 

And note that, there are actually many more people who support this despite not going down due to whatever reasons. Therefore, keyboard heroes who showed support, kudos, too!

And yes, I support Bersih because #1 I believe that there are flaws in the electoral system that needs to be reformed and #2 Bersih 2.0 rally proved that the nation have matured and people can go hand in hand without needing the pretentious and too commercialized 1Malaysia slogan to achieve this. 

And having said that, I have registered to vote, HAVE YOU? 

The ultimate decision comes when it is time to cast your vote, so vote wisely, whether you are supporting the BN government or the Opposition. Also, there is no need for name-calling and so on even if we're on different sides because everyone has got their own choice and right to choose. Because I believe both sides are paying too much time on politicking. 

Bersih 2.0 to me, is a realization. 

From this, we can see Malay, Chinese, Indian, Serani, Benggali, Bumiputra Sabah & Sarawak all walk hand in hand. It's like, wow we can actually do this. I hope that this will not only happen during Bersih but every other day as well. And to see this change, we must change ourselves first. I have too much to learn and I believe so do you too. 

So what, even if Bersih 2.0 didn't really went as planned in the stadium? All of us gain something bigger from the contribution of many rakyats that you won't be able to see any other day! 

Check these out. 

Do not support blindly, know the cause and decide for yourself no matter you're pro or against Bersih. 

Oh, about the police thing, they were just doing their parts and taking orders, it is their job. It is hard for them too. But those bashing and teargas and attacking the hospital ground isn't necessary though.

Ok, I think I'm more like, proud of them Bersih 2.0 Malaysian marchers, not support entirely, because the 8 demands are still quite vague to me! And also, damn proud of #bersihstories!!

No comments: